Journal Entry: Sun Jun 28, 2015, 7:50 AM
Top 10 interesting facts about Azerbaijan. Part 2
1. The pomegranate symbolises unity in Azerbaijani folklore.
2. Founded in 1906, Azerbaijani weekly magazine Molla Nasreddin was revolutionary for its time, bravely ridiculing clerics and criticising the political elite as well as the Russian Tsar and the Shah of Persia.
3. According to Norwegian adventurer and ethnographer Thor Heyerdahl's hypothesis, Scandinavian ancestry can be traced to Gobustan region of Azerbaijan.
4. Neft Dashlary ("Oil Rocks") established in 1947, was included into Guinness Book of Records as the world's first offshore oil platform.
5. Singer Rashid Behbudov's repertoire includes 30 songs about Baku.
6. Azerbaijan is the winner of the Eurovision Song Contest 2011. The country also managed to win Türkvizyon Song Contest 2014.
7. Wrestling has been traditionally regarded as Azerbaijan's national sport.
8. Azerbaijan is the first majority Muslim country to give suffrage to women.
9. Alim Gasimov was awarded the International Music Council-UNESCO Music Prize in 1999, one of the highest international accolades for music.
10. Azerbaijan, is home to the last Soviet collective farm and a group of dissident Christians called the Molokans, who were forced out of Russia by Catherine the Great.